Williams will not rush decision on Ospreys future
December 7, 2011
Shane Williams brought the curtain down on his Wales career against Australia last weekend © Getty Images
Welsh wing wizard Shane Williams has vowed to take his time before deciding whether to extend his playing days with the Ospreys.
The 34-year-old winger brought down the curtain on his Test career in memorable fashion by extending his Welsh try scoring record to 58 with a score in the final moments of Saturday's 24-18 Millennium Stadium defeat to Australia. However, he still has 18 months remaining on his current deal with the Ospreys and he could still be playing beyond his 37th birthday if he accepts their latest contract extension.
Williams has previously stated his desire to remain as part of the Ospreys set-up after he decides to hang up his boots for good, but is still weighing up whether to extend his playing career beyond 2013. "My affiliation is with the Ospreys, it has been for a long time and I would love to continue to be affiliated with them when I finish," he said. "If I am unlucky enough not to be part of a successful Ospreys side that wins the Heineken Cup then I would like to be involved after I finish to make sure the Ospreys win it, even if it's not with me playing.
"It's a difficult position because I have said in two years it will be the end of my contract. The option is there, it is something I have thought about and it is not something I have thought about lightly. I would love to remain with the Ospreys as long as I can but as far as a playing contract goes I don't know at the moment and it's something I will think about and hopefully sort out within the next couple of weeks."
While Williams' superb solo finish against the Wallabies has led some to question whether he is leaving the Test arena prematurely, the Amman United product has always insisted that he has had no second thoughts about bowing out of the game's elite echelon.
Williams' current Ospreys deal happens to end just before the British & Irish Lions tour Australia, but the three-quarter believes making a third tour would be "a step too far" and cannot see himself following the example of the likes of Neil Back and Lawrence Dallaglio, who made themselves available for the 2005 trip to New Zealand despite having stood down from England duty.
"I certainly enjoyed my Lions tours and I would love to think I would be playing good enough rugby in 2013 but I think it would be a step too far. I think some people would not be too happy if I started playing for the Lions in 2013 having not played for Wales," he said. "It is a fantastic experience and I will be definitely be over there enjoying myself and doing something in other regards but that is a long time away I doubt it very much [that I will be there playing] to be honest with you."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
The latest Week in Pictures takes in all the action from the weekend when rugby united behind Samoa
The Wallabies showed flair in Dublin, but they still have a way to go if they are to do more than make up the numbers at the World Cup, writes Greg Growden
England broke their losing streak, but this was not them clawing their way back among the best, writes Tom Hamilton
Wales' lessons to learn in defeat by New Zealand are almost exactly the same as those from previous near-misses, writes Huw Richards