Australia appeal against Cooper ban
July 26, 2010
Quade Cooper was cited for a dangerous tackle © Getty Images
Australia has appealed against the two-week ban handed to fly-half Quade Cooper for a dangerous tackle during his side's Tri-Nations victory against South Africa.
Cooper is set to miss Australia's back-to-back Bledisloe Cup Tests against New Zealand in Melbourne next Saturday and in Christchurch the following week after he was cited for a tackle on Morne Steyn during the 30-13 win over the Springboks.
Springbok centre Jaque Fourie received a four-week ban for a similar tackle in the same match but will miss just one Tri-Nations Test.
"SANZAR today received an appeal lodged by the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) on Cooper's behalf," read a statement issued by the tournament organisers.
"Details of when the appeal will be heard will be advised tomorrow."
New Zealand-born Cooper appeared before SANZAR's Bruce Squire QC of New Zealand in Brisbane on Sunday. Squire found Cooper guilty of a breach of Law 10.4 (j). He compared the offence to that of Springbok wing Jean de Villiers in last week's Tri-Nations match against the All Blacks, for which the South African was suspended for two weeks.
"This is consistent application in terms of like penalties for like offences," said Squire. The suspension ends on August 8 but Wallabies coach Robbie Deans revealed he would consider an appeal.
"Obviously Quade's disappointed, we're disappointed but we're in the process now of contemplating where to from here," Deans told reporters. "It obviously means that we're posed with a different challenge I guess, but it will still be a significant challenge that we'll bring to Melbourne."
Joe Simpson talks to Charlie Morgan about loss, Wasps and being England's game-breaker