Cooper signs new Reds contract
June 9, 2012
Quade Cooper was instrumental in leading the Reds to the Super 15 title last season © Getty Images
Wallabies star Quade Cooper has committed his future to the Queensland Reds, penning a three-year deal to remain in Australian rugby until after the 2015 World Cup.
Fly-half Cooper, who along with Kurtley Beale is currently under investigation by the Australian Rugby Union after an alleged altercation with security staff outside a Brisbane hotel, turned down interest from interstate as well as overseas and rugby league to stay with the reigning Super Rugby champions.
The signing means 24-year-old Cooper will remain at the club until at least the 2015 World Cup.
The New Zealand-born five-eighth had signed one-season deals in 2010 and 2011, but said he was excited by the future with the Reds.
"I'm really enjoying my time here, I'm in a good place at the moment, and I'm enjoying where the Reds are going as an organisation and as a team," Cooper told Fox Sports.
"We've got a bright future ahead and hopefully a few more titles in the next few years."
Cooper said he was tempted by offers to switch to rugby league, but felt he should remain with Queensland.
"Rugby league was something that was in the frame and I was quite interested in it," Cooper said. But I felt that staying with the Reds was the right thing to do."
Cooper made his return to Super Rugby last month, but will miss the three-Test series against Wales because of the risk of re-injuring his knee.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Joe Simpson talks to Charlie Morgan about loss, Wasps and being England's game-breaker
It is 100 years this week since the last international match played in Europe before the outbreak of World War One. Rewind remembers the fixture's longest-living survivor
Red cards, uncontested scrums, end-of-season wobbles and schoolboy errors - the Monday Maul looks back over the weekend's talking points
The latest Week in Pictures includes puffed players, dismissed players and training in the snow