Cipriani cleared for Rebels comeback
June 7, 2011
Danny Cipriani has been cleared to return to action with the Rebels © Getty Images
Melbourne Rebels boss Rod Macqueen has confirmed that Danny Cipriani will be in their 22 for this weekend's Super Rugby clash with the Brumbies after burying the hatchet with the former England fly-half.
Macqueen has confirmed that all "issues have been sorted" with the playmaker, who will be a welcome addition to the squad following a season-ending injury to James Hilgendorf.
Cipriani hasn't played since the Rebels' 28-9 loss to the Waratahs in late April, after which he was dropped for breaking a team curfew.
"The issues have been sorted between his management and the [players] association and the club," Macqueen said. "It's good to have him available for selection. He'll be in the 22 at least."
Asked whether there was a future for Cipriani at the club beyond this season, Macqueen said: "It's totally up to Danny. If he wants it, it's there for him."
Fullback Mark Gerrard said Cipriani had worked hard to improve his standing with his Rebels team-mates during his time on the outer.
"He's got no choice, does he?" the former Wallaby said. "That doesn't go [just] for Danny, that goes for all of us, we're in the same boat. We have policies in place and obviously Danny did break them.
"He missed the [South African] tour and that's a fairly significant punishment on the playing group's behalf. He's been training hard the last few weeks to get back in the squad and that's something I commend him on and his attitude.
"He's gone out to the schools and rugby teams to help out...and that's something that we pride ourselves on. To have Danny back is great for the club and hopefully he can stick around for a few years to come."
After last week's 40-3 loss to the Stormers, Macqueen said it was important for the Rebels to end the season on a high.
"Obviously we'd like to get some wins but it's really important to set ourselves up for next year and set ourselves up with a good foundation," he said. "We've been reasonably happy with a lot of things that we've done this year but we've also got to be brutally honest when we've failed and we failed very badly last week. What we're playing for is pride, more than anything, and playing for Melbourne and what the side's become."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Huw Richards assesses where Wales are after a mixed Six Nations, with front row seats still very much available for the World Cup
John Mitchell lapped up the action on 'Sensational Saturday' - but warns not to expect a repeat come Rugby World Cup time later this year
Craig Dowd warns England, Ireland and Wales they should play to their strengths rather than those of the All Blacks and the Wallabies
Tom Hamilton runs the rule over just where the six countries stand ahead of the global gathering in September