Home team(s) Stormers, Western Province
Time 06:01, Tue Mar 03, 2015 (UTC +0200)
One of the sport's most historic grounds, Newlands Stadium opened on May 31, 1890, when Stellenbosch defeated Villagers. Home to the Stormers in Super Rugby and Western Province in the Currie Cup, the stadium has a capacity of approximately 51,000.
The ground has also played host to the South African national side throughout its history with the Springboks' going down to Great Brtiain (4-0) on their first visit on September 5, 1891. During the 1995 Rugby World Cup, Newlands hosted a total of four matches including the tournament opener between the hosts and Australia.
Later in the tournament it witnessed England's quarter-final victory over Australia and. perhaps most memorably, the All Blacks' demolition of England in the semi-finals where wing Jonah Lomu cemented his place in the record books with a block-busting four-try performance.
More recently the British & Irish Lions tasted victory in Cape Town, beating the Springboks 25-16 in the first Test of the 1997 tour. The stadium once again welcomed them in 2009, when they met Western Province and the Emerging Springboks.
The first permanent stands at the ground were not erected until 1919 and, over subsequent years, the stadium underwent several more developments. SA Rugby moved their headquarters to the stadium as part of further changes during the 1970s that also included the expansion of the number of seats and the inauguration of the Danie Craven stand.
Yet more redevelopment took place in the build up to the 1995 World Cup, and the work has continued since to ensure the ground keeps pace with the sport's leading stadia.With increased commercial interests the ground took on different sponsor-led names through this period but reverted back to simply Newlands in 2002.
The long-term status of the stadium has been questioned with reports linking both Western Province and the Stormers to the new Green Point Stadium that was redeveloped for the 2010 Football World Cup. The ground is located on Boundary Road in the Newlands suburb of Cape Town.