Corbisiero set to miss entire Six Nations
January 28, 2013
Northampton-bound England prop is struggling to shake off a knee injury © PA Photos
England coach Stuart Lancaster has been dealt a blow on the eve of his side's Six Nations opener with Scotland with the news that prop Alex Corbisiero is set to miss the entire championship with a knee injury.
Corbisiero, who has been struggling with the problem since England's tour to South Africa last year, underwent an operation last week to remove a "loose body" with the procedure initially expected to sideline him for at least the first two games of the Six Nations.
But London Irish boss Brian Smith has revealed the loose-head will be out of action for up to ten weeks - ruling him out of England's championship plans completely - and may be sidelined for the rest of the season.
"Unfortunately for Corbs he had further surgery. The information our medical team have been given is that it is likely to be a 10-week injury," Smith told Talksport. "I'd like to think he could get back on the park for us before the end of the season. There are still major question marks about that. He has a significant injury and he needs to be managed well."
England have called Sale prop Henry Thomas into the squad as "temporary injury cover" for Corbisiero. Thomas will train with England ahead of Saturday's clash with the Scots at Twickenham. Corbisiero started England last two internationals, including the historic victory over New Zealand, with Quins' Joe Marler and Saracens' Mako Vunipola now set to battle it out of the No.1 shirt.
There was better news from Saracens fullback Alex Goode who declared himself fit following his side's Anglo-Welsh Cup victory over Cardiff Blues - his first appearance in five weeks since sustaining a shoulder injury.
"I feel really good. There was a bit of apprehension - you always go into a situation like that a bit unsure at times," he said. "But I'd done all the training, I'd tested the shoulder to the max and the physios had done a great job. I felt 100 per cent going into the game and the shoulder came through really well. I was very happy."
He added: "It's up to (coach) Stuart Lancaster but I'm fit. I've got to train well this week and put myself on the radar."
Harlequins' winger Ugo Monye has also been drafted into the 33-man training squad as Freddie Burns remains at Gloucester for treatment, also with a knee problem.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Huw Richards assesses where Wales are after a mixed Six Nations, with front row seats still very much available for the World Cup
John Mitchell lapped up the action on 'Sensational Saturday' - but warns not to expect a repeat come Rugby World Cup time later this year
Craig Dowd warns England, Ireland and Wales they should play to their strengths rather than those of the All Blacks and the Wallabies
Tom Hamilton runs the rule over just where the six countries stand ahead of the global gathering in September