My Wales days are over, says Bateman
May 29, 2000
Allan Bateman believes his Welsh days are over - but he will still be asking Northampton for a new contract next year.
The veteran international was at his usual cool best on Saturday as the Saints grabbed silverware for the first time in their history at Twickenham.
Bateman's best work was in defence as Northampton recorded a battling 9-8 win over Munster but just as skipper Pat Lam patrols the forwards, the former Richmond man keeps the backs in check.
But, at 35, an illustrious career is drawing to a close. Two more seasons should just about do it.
"I do not think I will be involved with Wales next year," said Bateman, who has a year on his current deal left to run. "It is not something I have been told, just a feeling. I will always be there for Wales should they need me. But Graham Henry will probably be building for the next World Cup and I doubt I will be there.
"But I have enjoyed this season more than for a long time and am looking forward to the summer break. If I am still in decent shape at Christmas, I will probably nip into the chairman's office to see if there is any chance of a one-year contract."
Last year's thrashing at the hands of Wales was not the first time England have fallen to their rivals. Scrum Sevens looks at whether they have bounced back the following year
With just two rounds left in the 2014 championship, the intensity cranks up a notch at Twickenham. Tom Hamilton previews the weekend's action
"I had a perfect record against England as did a few other Welshmen. England always seemed to bring the best out of us." John Taylor on the age-old rivalry
Are the margins between the teams in the Six Nations getting smaller year-on-year? Huw Richards gives some answers