Confusion grows over Healy ban
February 14, 2013
Cian Healy received a three-week ban © Getty Images
Ireland prop Cian Healy's ban for stamping descended into farce on Thursday as confusion reigned over his availability for provincial duty this weekend.
While Leinster are of the belief that their 25-year-old loosehead can be selected for Saturday's RaboDirect PRO12 clash with Benetton Treviso, Ireland coach Declan Kidney has been told that is not the case. Six Nations organisers have declined to publicly clarify the terms of the three-week suspension given yesterday by an independent disciplinary committee, but maintain it commenced with Monday's citing.
Mindful that under normal circumstances Healy would have been rested this weekend, the hearing decided that the punishment for his stamp on England's Dan Cole during Sunday's 12-6 defeat in Dublin should be deferred by one week so that he would miss Ireland's matches against Scotland and France.
A three-week suspension expiring on March 10 would have to commence this Sunday, creating the grey area that has transformed what should have been a routine disciplinary process into a fiasco. The development is a mess for the Six Nations, who are at risk of seeing the spirit of their ban flouted by the exploitation of a loophole in their decision to defer the punishment.
Kidney - who will consider appealing only when the written judgment is published, which is likely to be on Monday - was told by the hearing at Heathrow yesterday that Healy is not available.
"Experience has taught us to wait for the written judgment or explanation to come down and we'll take it from there concerning any appeal. Let's see what's in the judgment," Kidney said. "It's certainly an option that he could play for Leinster this weekend, but we've been told that he's suspended and he's not allowed to.
"Cian's had a lot going on - a lot goes on with the citings process the way it is. There would certainly be benefit in him playing given everything that's happened. We asked the question yesterday whether he could play this weekend and we were told no, he is suspended."
Leinster take the opposite view, with forwards coach Jonno Gibbes indicating this morning that the European champions intend fielding a player destined for Lions selection this summer.
"Cian is certainly available. (Leinster coach) Jose Schmidt and (Ireland coach) Declan have talked about the involvement of Test players this weekend," Gibbes. "Cian's available and personally I'd be delighted to involve him, he's a really big asset. He will definitely be considered.
"There are complications for others maybe, but he's available for us. It's a game in the break of the Six Nations and he's under consideration. Nothing is surprising when the rugby judiciary is involved. You have to go in with an open mind because you never know what will come out of it."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Last year's thrashing at the hands of Wales was not the first time England have fallen to their rivals. Scrum Sevens looks at whether they have bounced back the following year
With just two rounds left in the 2014 championship, the intensity cranks up a notch at Twickenham. Tom Hamilton previews the weekend's action
"I had a perfect record against England as did a few other Welshmen. England always seemed to bring the best out of us." John Taylor on the age-old rivalry
Are the margins between the teams in the Six Nations getting smaller year-on-year? Huw Richards gives some answers