Du Randt irked by Boks snub
March 2, 2011
Despite earning the praise of Springbok head coach Peter De Villiers, Os du Randt will not be travelling to New Zealand © Getty Images
Os Du Randt has expressed his frustration after being informed by the South African Rugby Union (SARU) that his contract as a scrummaging consultant with the Springboks will not be extended to include this year's World Cup.
The two-time World Cup winner, who earned 80 caps for the Boks during a career which spanned 13 years, was welcomed into Peter de Villiers' coaching team ahead of last year's Tri-Nations campaign. His services had been expected to be retained for this year's World Cup but du Randt revealed on Tuesday that he will not be travelling to New Zealand.
"I am obviously disappointed, especially as Peter had told me that I have the so-called X-factor that he needs in his World Cup management team. And now the X-factor is staying at home," the former Bok prop told sport24.
"I had already arranged my life as if I would be involved with the Boks until after the World Cup. I have rented out my farm and bought a house in Bloemfontein."
Du Randt will continue in his role as scrummaging coach for the Cheetahs for the rest of the Super Rugby season but admitted that he might then opt to take up a position overseas now that his World Cup hopes have been dashed.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.