Carstens to quit Saracens for Stormers
November 10, 2011
Carstens is heading back to South Africa to link up with Western Province © Getty Images
Saracens have released South African international prop Deon Carstens from his contract to allow him to join The Stormers ahead of the new Super Rugby season.
The 32-year-old loose-head will return home following a request by the Cape Town-based side who are keen to bolster their front row ranks ahead of the 2012 campaign. "We have a partnership with Western Province rugby, and any partnership must work both ways," Saracens rugby director Mark McCall said.
"The Stormers urgently need a top-class international loosehead prop for the forthcoming Super Rugby season. The move makes sense for the player, and so we have agreed to the release.
"Deon has made a magnificent impact at Saracens over the past 18 months, and his departure presents us with some difficult mid-season challenges, but we wish him, his wife and young daughter all the best in Cape Town. Since this is the right decision for Deon and his family, it must be the right decision for us."
Carstens, who joined Saracens last year from The Sharks, added: "I am very sad to be leaving Saracens, but I am massively looking forward to the opportunity in Cape Town. I am also very grateful to Saracens for their pragmatic approach to this situation."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
The Scotland coach enters his first Six Nations with at least one familiar face to look to for inspiration - Joe Schmidt. He chats to Tom Hamilton
Italy coach Jacques Brunel spoke to ESPN ahead of his final season as Italy coach and tells of his desire to experiment and evolve
"There's no bull with me, I just tell it straight." Tom Hamilton talks to Warren Gatland in an exclusive interview
With the retirement of Adam Jones, Welsh rugby says goodbye to a great player and one of its biggest personalities too, writes Tom Hamilton