• Switch Edition
On This Day / Story
April 22 down the years
Sending off mars centenary celebrations
Wasps' James Haskell is tackled by Northampton's Jon Clarke, London Wasps v Northampton Saints, Heineken Cup, Ricoh Stadium, Coventry, England, April 22, 2007
Wasps' James Haskell is tackled by Northampton's Jon Clarke during their Heineken Cup semi-final clash on this day in 2007 © Getty Images

New Zealand squared the series with the World XV, winning 54-26 at Wellington in the second Test of the NZRU's Centenary celebrations. The match was marred by the sending-off of the French lock, Olivier Roumat, in the first half for kicking Sean Fitzpatrick during a ruck. Fitzpatrick required medical attention. Rouat was the eighth Frenchman to be sent off in international rugby.

South Africa's apartheid government announced a relaxation of the strict rules on visiting sides, prime minister John Vorster graciously allowing them to play "mixed and coloured" teams. He emphasised that "strict apartheid" would continue to be enforced at club level.

Guest side Cardiff won the Middlesex Sevens, beating London Scottish 11-6 in the final in front of 30,000 at Twickenham. It was the first time that a Welsh club has claimed the title, and they beat St Mary's Hospital, Met Police and Birkenhead Park on the way to the final.

The County Championship title was shared after Surrey and Durham draw a replayed final 0-0. The day ended in confusion as nobody was quite sure what to do next. Durham were happy to share, but Surrey's committee wanted to play on. In the end, Durham's view prevailed.

Harlequins recorded their fifth victory in the eighth year of the Middlesex Sevens at Twickenham, thrashing Wasps 23-0. Club side Old Cranleighans reached their third semi-final in six seasons with wins over London Scottish and Blackheath en route.

France were lucky to escape from Brescia with their then slimmest-ever victory over Italy. The Azzurri resisted sternly before succumbing 6-3.

Wasps beat Northampton 30-13 at the Ricoh Stadium, Coventry, in the second of the Heineken Cup semi-finals. The result meant that there was an all-English final for the first time, Leicester having won their tie the previous day.

France beat a Welsh XV 12-0 in front of 25,000 at Stade Colombes in the last of the popular "Victory" internationals.

© Scrum.com
Live Scores