Nallet admits France days are over
March 13, 2012
Nallet has taken in two World Cups for France © Getty Images
Lionel Nallet has admitted that his international career is now more than likely over after he was axed from the France squad ahead of their clash with Wales at the weekend.
The 35-year-old has previously captained his country and appeared in 74 Tests and was set to call time on his international career after the World Cup but was persuaded to stay in the France reckoning by Philippe Saint-Andre.
But now with him jettisoned from the France squad, Nallet admits that his international days are probably at an end.
"I had a deal with coach Philippe Saint-André. When I was called back due to injuries, Philippe told me he would like me to terminate my career on a Grand Slam or the match for the Grand Slam," he told L'Equipe. "But if there was no title, he would call someone else to prepare next tour in Argentina. Philippe confirmed my departure after the match against England. I was not surprised as it was unambiguous.
"That is a strong sign, French team is over for me since last Sunday. In which club I will go on my career? I don't know. I just got written propositions from clubs attracted. I will make my decision in a fortnight."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Concussion, relegation and the mother of all surprises - it's the Monday Maul.
Huw Richards assesses where Wales are after a mixed Six Nations, with front row seats still very much available for the World Cup
John Mitchell lapped up the action on 'Sensational Saturday' - but warns not to expect a repeat come Rugby World Cup time later this year
Craig Dowd warns England, Ireland and Wales they should play to their strengths rather than those of the All Blacks and the Wallabies