Harris protests innocence
June 28, 2012
New Zealand lost the IRB Junior World Championship final © Image SA
Baby Blacks hooker Nathan Harris says he is innocent of the rape allegations which have been made public in the aftermath of last Friday's Junior World Championship final.
Harris is under investigation by South African police following the allegations made earlier this week and has opted to speak out. "I am making this statement today so everyone knows that I am the player at the centre of this issue," Harris said. "There is no one else involved.
"I want to say very strongly that I am innocent of the allegation made against me. However, I should not have allowed a woman to enter my room. This was against team rules. For that I am truly sorry and I want to apologise to my team mates, team management and to all the parents and friends who supported our team, but especially to my family for the distress this has caused them all.
"The past five days have been a very stressful and painful time for me and my family. I have learnt a lot and now I am hoping for a good outcome so I can get on with my life. I have been advised that with a police investigation underway I am unable to comment further."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Jim Mallinder and Justin Burnell were sat on the same top table, but in different circumstances. Tom Hamilton reports on the Aviva Premiership season launch
Tom Hamilton reports back from the launch of the Guinness PRO12 where there is a renewed sense of optimism with all of the off-field changes to the league
So much for the great Australian revival, writes Greg Growden. It now has the potential of going off the rails after the capitulation at Eden Park
The latest Week in Pictures takes in photographs from the Rugby Championship, the Top 14 and the southern hemisphere domestic scene