• Switch Edition
May 2 down the years
Leinster triumphant in all-Irish showdown
Leinster's Gordon D'Arcy celebrates scoring a try, Munster v Leinster, Heineken Cup Semi-Final, Croke Park, Dublin, Ireland, May 2, 2009
Leinster's Gordon D'Arcy celebrates scoring a try against Munster in their 2009 Heineken Cup semi-final clash at Croke Park © Getty Images

Leinster upset Munster 25-6 at Croke Park to progress to their first ever Heineken Cup Final.

The match, played in front of a world record crowd for a club game of 82,206 fans, features tries from Leinster trio Gordon D'Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald and man of the match Brian O'Driscoll.

A superb defensive display limited favourites Munster to just two Ronan O'Gara penalties and erased the memories of the defeat to their fierce Irish rivals at the same stage in 2006.

Gareth Jenkins officially began his duties as Wales national head coach by discussing availability and selection for the tour of Argentina with national team manager Alan Phillips.

Jenkins, who originally combined his duties as Wales coach alongside his role as Scarlets director of rugby said, "After briefly discussing the framework and structure I will be working to as national coach with WRU chief executive Steve Lewis, and meeting with the rest of the full-time staff at the team's Vale of Glamorgan base, Alan presented his plan for the forthcoming tour of Argentina and we got straight on with the job in hand which is to select a squad of players for our two Test tour of Argentina."

Jenkins' reign proved to be a difficult one, with the Argentina series lost 2-0 before a poor Six Nations in 2007 and a Pool stage exit from the Rugby World Cup caused his replacement by Kiwi Warren Gatland.

The trophy for the all new HSBC Asian Five Nations was unveiled in Hong Kong on the eve of matches between Japan and the Arabian Gulf in Osaka and Kazakhstan's visit to Hong Kong. Handcrafted in India from pure silver, the trophy weighs more than 8kg and is adorned with Asian motifs including a dragon design to represent North Asia and a prowling tiger representing South Asia.

A crowd invasion brought the RFU Cup Final at Twickenham to a premature finish. Referee Fred Howard was told to whistle for time three minutes early, leaving Bath winners by 19-12 against Wasps.

Toulouse, fielding seven French internationals and four future caps, wrested the French Championship title from Perpignan with an 11-0 win in the Final at Bordeaux. Toulouse retained the title the following season with a 19-9 win over Stade Francais, taking their total to five titles in six seasons between 1922 and 1927.

Vienne won the French Championship title for the first time. They beat Montferrand 13-7 in the Final staged in Toulouse, a victory that remains their only French Championship. Montferrand were appearing in their second final in two seasons, having lost to 6-3 to Narbonne in 1936.

Leicester won their third successive John Player Final and earned the right to keep the Cup after beating Gosforth 22-15 at Twickenham. They began their hat-trick with a 15-12 win over Moseley before comprehensively defeating London Irish 21-9.

Cardiff beat Swansea 16-15 after extra time to lift the WRU Cup for the fifth time in seven years.

Stuart Barnes sunk Harlequins with a last-minute dropped goal in extra time to give Bath a 15-12 Cup final victory at Twickenham.

© Scrum.com
Live Scores