Flood dismisses France reports
April 18, 2013
Toby Flood insists he has no intention of leaving Welford Road © Getty Images
England and Leicester fly-half Toby Flood has rubbished reports linking him with a move to France's Top 14.
The 27-year-old has another season to run on his current deal at Welford Road club but previous reports suggested that the likes of Toulon, Toulouse and Stade Francais were looking to lure him across the Channel. However, Flood insists no talks have taken place and he is full focused on the Tigers' title push.
"In some regards it is nice to been linked with France but nothing has been said," he told BBC Radio Leicester. "There is always speculation but I am enjoying my time here and for me there is only one club in England you want to be at and it is this one."
Flood insists there is also no pressure to put pen to paper on a new deal although the Tigers are expected to table an offer in the summer in a bid to warn off any suitors. "We will head out this summer and when we come back things will start moving in the last year.
"Historically contract negotiations start in the season it runs out and nothing has really changed. I am very much focused on getting it right on the field going towards the end of the year and the play-offs and hopefully the final."
A move to France would also jeopardise Flood's hopes of reclaiming the England No.10 shirt from rival Owen Farrell due to the Rugby Football Union's policy of only selecting players based overseas in exceptional circumstances with further international honours and a key role in the 2015 World Cup campaign likely to be on his agenda.
Speaking following the Tigers' most recent Premiership victory over London Wasps, he said: "I love playing for Leicester and I want to win a lot more England caps. It's a fantastic club and it is my rugby home. The club is very ambitious and is still challenging for top honours. You just know this club will be fighting for all the trophies again next year and beyond."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Huw Richards assesses where Wales are after a mixed Six Nations, with front row seats still very much available for the World Cup
John Mitchell lapped up the action on 'Sensational Saturday' - but warns not to expect a repeat come Rugby World Cup time later this year
Craig Dowd warns England, Ireland and Wales they should play to their strengths rather than those of the All Blacks and the Wallabies
Tom Hamilton runs the rule over just where the six countries stand ahead of the global gathering in September