Venter to stop talking to the press
November 19, 2010
Saracens boss Brendan Venter has taken himself out of the media spotlight © Getty Images
Saracens have confirmed that director of rugby Brendan Venter will not be speaking to the media for the foreseeable future after he was fined for comments he made after last month's Heineken Cup defeat by Leinster.
The South African lashed out at alleged inconsistencies in the interpretation of the laws of the game by match officials following his side's clash with the province at Wembley. Venter was subsequently hit with a fine of £22,000, £13,000 of which was suspended until June 2012, and has now decided to stop speaking to the press.
"We feel that we have other people that are capable of acting as a media spokesperson," Saracens' chief executive Edward Griffiths told the Watford Observer. "At the moment Brendan is just focusing on speaking to the team. It is just the way forward that we have agreed but nothing is forever."
This is not the first time that Venter has landed himself in hot water over comments made about referees. He was given a suspended one-month touchline ban earlier this year when he suggested that referee David Rose had been influenced at half-time during his side's clash with Leicester at Vicarage Road.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
On Saturday, New Zealand face the USA in a match that has been 40 years in the making. Tom Hamilton finds the atmosphere building in Chicago
Most modern rugby players will not know the name Ray Williams but they should be eternally grateful to him, writes John Taylor
With the All Blacks playing the USA Eagles this weekend, Craig Dowd says rugby is ready to make a professional breakthrough Stateside
"He had a death stare so you'd know when you were wrong." George Kruis talks about his mentor Borthwick, fly-fishing and his England aspirations