Peel denied Barbarians chance
May 19, 2011
Dwayne Peel will not represent the Barbarians © Getty Images
Sale scrum-half Dwayne Peel has been denied the chance to represent the Barbarians against Wales on June 4 due to an eligibility row.
The 29-year-old, capped 79 times by Wales, had been set to join Welsh flanker Martyn Williams and prop Iestyn Thomas in the Baa Baas squade, but Premiership Rugby, the governing body for the 12 Aviva Premiership clubs, has refused to release him.
Premiership sides are required only to release players for Rugby World Cup preparations on August 5, the day before Wales' opening warm-up game against England.
"Premiership Rugby has no agreement with the Barbarians and no players will be released to play for the Barbarians," a Premiership Rugby statement read.
Sale Sharks chief executive Mick Hogan confirmed that Peel will 'categorically not' be turning out for the Baa Baas.
"Dwayne Peel will categorically not play for the Barbarians. It is as simple as that," he told BBC Sport ."Dwayne has been told and understands the situation. Premiership Rugby has negotiated with Scotland and Italy for players to be released from July 1 as long as insurance is in place. As far as I am aware Wales have not responded to the offer."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Huw Richards assesses where Wales are after a mixed Six Nations, with front row seats still very much available for the World Cup
John Mitchell lapped up the action on 'Sensational Saturday' - but warns not to expect a repeat come Rugby World Cup time later this year
Craig Dowd warns England, Ireland and Wales they should play to their strengths rather than those of the All Blacks and the Wallabies
Tom Hamilton runs the rule over just where the six countries stand ahead of the global gathering in September