Arscott recommits to the Chiefs
December 19, 2012
Luke Arscott shone for the Chiefs against Clermont in the Heineken Cup earlier this season © PA Photos
Exeter have received a huge boost ahead of their clash with Gloucester this weekend following the news that fullback Luke Arscott has reportedly penned a new deal with the Devon club.
Arscott, according to reports, has signed a contract that will keep him at Sandy Park until 2015. He was reportedly on Clermont Auvergne's radar following his impressive showing against the Top 14 giants in Round 2 of the Heineken Cup, but he has opted to extend his stay the Chiefs.
The fullback has been at Exeter since 2010 and coach Rob Baxter admits that he has been delighted with how well Arscott has progressed. "He's been a cornerstone of our back division in our time in the Premiership," Baxter told the BBC. "What we've got to do is maintain his form and knock on again in the next couple of years.
"He was one of the first guys we brought in when we got promoted," Baxter added. "It was probably a bit of a difficult position for us to get the right body in for two or three seasons and Luke settling in there strengthened us immediately."
Baxter has revealed that he will make limited additions to his Chiefs side ahead of next season. He added: "There won't be the huge amount of changes next season that I didn't want so that's fantastic for us. If we do make three or four acquisitions or changeovers in the market after January 1 that'll probably be the number we'll want to make."
The Chiefs have been close to securing a deal for Fijian flyer Watisoni Votu but confirmation has been held up as Exeter are still waiting on international clearance.
"It's not something we see as a long term problem, we're assuming the final bits of the paperwork will be in place as soon as the communications side of things is sorted," Baxter said. "Unless there are any injury problems he's not going to be featuring in the Premiership side for a couple of weeks.
"He's got to wait until we get a second team game organised or the Anglo-Welsh Cup games, those opportunities will be the first chance we'll get to have a look at him."
© ESPN EMEA Ltd
"The Australian public welcomed us with open arms." Tom Hamilton talks to Ken Kennedy about the Lions' tour Down Under in 1966
In the latest edition of Ask John, John Griffiths answers queries about Barbarians socks, bi-lingual referees and Lions who weren't Lions
"Here is the line-up I believe will take to the field on Saturday, let the abuse commence." Tom Hamilton has a punt at the Lions' starting XV for the first Test in his latest Tour Diary